Senior Database Administrator (MySQL)
For more than 30 years Verifone has established a remarkable record of leadership in the electronic payment technology industry. Verifone has one of the leading electronic payment solutions brands and is one of the largest providers of electronic payment systems worldwide.
Verifone has a diverse, dynamic and fast paced work environment in which employees are focused on results and have opportunities to excel. We take pride in the fact that we work with leading retailers, merchants, banks, and third party partners to invent and deliver innovative payments solution around the world. We strive for excellence in our products and services, and are obsessed with customer happiness. Across the globe, Verifone employees are leading the payments industry through experience, innovation, and an ambitious spirit. Whether it’s developing the next platform of secure payment systems or searching for new ways to bring electronic payments to new markets, the team at Verifone is dedicated to the success of our customers, partners and investors. It is this passion for innovation that drives each one of our employees for personal and professional success.
About the role
The role encompasses administration of and responsible for MySQL database and will be responsible for ensuring the database performance, high availability, and security of clusters in MySQL instances.
- The candidate will be responsible for ensuring that database management policies, processes and procedures are followed, adhering to ITIL good practice principles and are subjected to continuous improvement as per PCI standards.
- He / She will be responsible for reviewing system design changes to ensure they adhere to expected service standards and recommend changes to ensure maximum stability, availability and efficiency of the supported applications.
- The candidate should understand the application functionality, business logics and work with application stake holders to understand the requirement and discuss with the new application features and propose the right solutions.
- He must liaise closely and work in collaboration with the release management teams, Support teams and the infrastructure DBAs.
What you'll do
- Install, Deploy and Manage MySQL on Physical, Virtual, AWS EC2 instances and docker containers
- Build MySQL cluster with a high availability, active-active cluster setup in a large scale and multi datacentre environment having minimum RPO and RTO on a DR scenario
- Design and implement the backup strategy and BCP process across the MySQL environments. Maintain the uniform backup strategy by using the tools like Percona XtraDB or custom scripts and which can automate the process with right monitoring and alerting mechanism
- Design & architecting the MySQL environment using any framework like Galera Cluster or Percona XtraDB or InnoDB cluster
Define the database monitoring, monitoring thresholds, alerts, validate the notifications and maintain the documents for the future references
- Setup hight availability with Master-Master/ Master-slave replication depends on the application needs
- Database performance tuning based on the application requirement and maintain the stable environment. Analyse the existing SQL queries behalf of the performance improvement program
- Work with engineering team to understand the database requirement and guide them the best practice and optimize the queries to get the better performance
- Database version upgrades and maintain both OS and MySQL patches up to date in comply with infosec rules
- Work with application stake holders to understand the production requirement and propose the effective database solutions
- Review and understand the ongoing business reports and create new adhoc reports based on the requirement
- Adhere to the incident and change process, prepare the document and perform the peer review for all the planned production tasks
- Develop and maintain the database release process, support release team to automate the database release process
What qualifications will you need to be successful?
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum 8 years of experience in different flavors of MySQL, such as Percona-MySQL, MySQL Community and Enterprise editions
- Should have experience on MySQL Active – Active cluster setup, Database Upgrade and Migration, Database Scripting
- Should have experience on administrating MySQL on Linux platform
- Experience on MySql version upgrade, preferably from version 5.6 to 5.7, on production environment with a zero or very minimum application down time
- Experience on design & architecting the MySQL environment using any framework like Galera Cluster or Percona XtraDB or InnoDB cluster
- Experience on building the database monitoring using tools like, Nagios, Grafana, ELK, AppD etc.
- Experience in Database performance tuning which include both SQL tuning and hardware configuration and capacity planning.
Good to Have (Not Mandatory):
- Experience working with PCI (Payment Card Industry Data Security) standards
- ITIL environment experience
- Data analytics and Business intelligence
- Good to have knowledge on database objects like SQL scripts, procedures, functions and other database objects
- Experience and knowledge on any NoSQL and BIG Data technologies
Verifone is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Verifone is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Join our worldwide team